BBW1270 - waterproof version of the BB1270 - weighs about 1KG more. Several available.
Smart Alternator/Euro 6+ compatible
- Ignition feed or Vibration Sense modes
- 6 preset battery types
- 6 self recovering protections
- Low temperature trip for Lithium Ion batteries
EV - Electric Vehicle Compatability - 3 reasons to install a BB instead of direct cabling / relay
Underneath the bonnet of EVs is the positive and negative 12V terminal that leads from the high V -> low V DC DC converter to the 12V battery. There is usually a 12V positive busbar and a 0V negative post. One of these positive feeds leads to the 12V battery. The 12V post that leads to the 12V battery would be where you install the BB along with the common negative post.
The high voltage to low voltage DC DC converter shall likely be itself current limiting. However, the vehicle has uses for this current, albeit, not all of this current all of the time.
Benefits of BB installation with EV
- The BB isolates the EV 12V battery from the 12V leisure battery, therefore you shall NOT drain the 12V EV battery. If you drain the 12V EV battery your EV will not start.
- The BB has a maximum current draw. A good estimate is to rate your BB to approximately 25-50% of the current rating of your DC DC converter. This allows the converter to provide the power to run your obligatory loads (steering, lights, stereo, air con etc) and surplus to go in to your 12V auxiliary battery. For example, if your converter is 190A rated, use a BB1270 - it shall provide ~60/70A to charge. If the full use of the converter is being used by all ancillaries the voltage shall drop across the 12V system and the BB shall naturally reduce performance and eventually turn off during that episode when there is a high power demand. The BB shall turn on again when the voltage climbs.
- Charging lithium batteries shall likely exceed the charge rating. If your converter is 200A rated but your lithium battery can only handle up to 100A - the converter shall try and provide 200A but the battery(s) BMS shall trip out. The benefit of the BB is that it shall reign in the current to whatever BB you choose.
- You shall get the correct charge voltages at the 12V auxiliary battery. Some DC DC converters shall sit at 14.7V all the time, which may be too high! The 2022+ Tesla Model 3 and Y have a DC DC converter that sits at 15.5V. Thus, to convert this voltage to a conventional 12V or 24V battery charging profile requires converting.